Vice President, Commercial Real Estate
WHO WE ARE
University of Calgary Properties Group Ltd. (UCPG) was created by the University of Calgary to oversee the development and management of university land projects. UCPG’s financial model provides an innovative approach to land development by directing its residual profits back to the University to help fuel its mission. The team and 14-member board of directors are dedicated to creating, developing and managing premier mixed-use developments for the University of Calgary. True to fundamental values of mindfulness, integrity, collaboration, confidence, and accountability UCPG is creating amazing places for people and businesses to thrive.
Reporting to the President & Chief Executive Officer, the newly created role of Vice President, Commercial Real Estate (“Vice President”) will have accountability for defining and realizing the vision for the development, leasing and management of retail and office assets in both University District and University Innovation Quarter.
The Vice President will be responsible for the profitability of commercial real estate activities, including but not limited to, meeting budget and scheduling targets for development programs, accurately managing cashflow requirements, and leading and growing a high-functioning team. They will play a lead role in the identification of tenant and joint venture partnerships for anchor tenant and build-to-suit developments.
Key to success in this role will be the Vice President’s ability to work collaboratively with the Executive Team and other key stakeholders, including the Board of Trustees, to ensure all members remain informed of commercial real estate priorities related to development, leasing and property management.
- As a member of the leadership team ensure that the UCPG is a transparent, effective and successful organization that is operating according to its values and strategy.
- Work closely with all other UCPG team members to ensure integration and effective working relationships, including establishing and managing against an integrated project plan and budget.
- Develop and implement operational policies and procedures related to the development portfolio.
- Manage internal and external human resources.
- Build and maintain relationships with stakeholders related to the land construction activities.
- Lead the retail program for UCPG at University District and University Innovation Quarter.
- Property management for all UCPG commercial properties.
- Lead the market research and industry relations functions.
- Lead the development and ongoing management of tenant lease agreements.
- Participate in the master planning and vision-setting process to optimize marketability and ensure we achieve the vision of the project within UCPG guiding principles.
- In cases where UCPG will be involved in a vertical Lead the conceptual design, design and oversight of building. Act as the owner representative in oversight and acceptance of the building on completion.
- Work closely with the team to identify and pursue place making initiatives that are financially viable and create a unique experience for University District and University Innovation Quarter.
- Represent UCPG at events and meetings, as required, including communities, professional associations/conferences, City of Calgary, Province of Alberta and the real estate industry.
- Assist the President and CEO with the overall management of UCPG including establishing and executing against the strategic plan, the five-year rolling business plan and associated capital and operating budgets.
- Work closely with the President and CEO in the preparation and execution of Board and Planning and Development Committee meetings.
The following experience and skills are desired for the role:
- Post-secondary degree in a related discipline or a combination of education and experience appropriate to achieve the mandate.
- A minimum 10 years of experience in commercial real Experience in brokerage, asset management, development, leasing or property management is desirable.
- A track record of superior operational, financial and people leadership.
- A demonstrated strategic view of industry trends and market demands for new development concepts.
- Strong project management skills related to real estate and land development.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and demonstrate sound judgment and impeccable discretion at all times.
- Flexible and adaptable in responding to changing conditions.
- Contributes to a positive, values-based, work environment, and able to earn and retain respect in a team environment.
- Excellent diplomatic, public relations and negotiation skills with the ability to tactfully persist and influence to achieve desired results.
- Strategic Thinking: Demonstrate the ability to think strategically, challenge the status quo and defend one’s ideas and logic to a discerning and analytical leadership/ownership group.
- Leadership: Be comfortable leading, engaging and building teams and demonstrating one’s skills and expertise to a broad stakeholder group. Be able to demonstrate that he or she promotes the inclusion of diverse knowledge, skills and experiences to achieve results.
- Vision and Innovation: Be comfortable with a blank canvas, empowered to design and lead members of an organization with the goal of providing growth and financial returns to the organization.
- Passion and Energy: Be an energetic, highly motivated individual who is able to excel in a measured yet growth oriented environment. Strong sense of urgency.
- Communication: Be an open and candid communicator with exceptional verbal and written skills.
- Resourcefulness: Highly resourceful, a self-starter, able to achieve results through others, particularly in the absence of direct reporting relationships.
If you are interested in learning more about this rare and exciting opportunity, please don’t hesitate to contact Cam McDonald at firstname.lastname@example.org or 403-407-1965. Details about how to apply online can be found here.