Position Description: Building Operator
Status: Full Time
Department: Property Management
Reports to: Senior Property Manager
Organization: University of Calgary Properties Group Ltd.
University of Calgary Properties Group Ltd.
Are you an experienced Building Operator recognized for your strong technical and organizational skills? Are you regularly getting noticed for your attention to detail and flexibility in adapting to changing work priorities? Are you able to successfully multi-task, have a strong work ethic and problem solve? If so, we want you on our growing team!
University of Calgary Properties Group Ltd. (UCPG), formerly West Campus Development Corporation, is looking for a full-time Building Operator who will be responsible for supervision and coordination of activities related to operations of all aspects of retail and office properties within our organization. Reporting to the Senior Property Manager, the Building Operator will play a key role in the development of the operations process as it relates to the University District project – a 200 acre master planned urban community in NW Calgary. The Building Operator will be responsible to uphold the quality standards for management of UCPG properties and excited about an opportunity to grow along with the portfolio.
Who We Are
University of Calgary Properties Group Ltd. (UCPG) was created by the University of Calgary to oversee the development and management of university land projects. UCPG’s financial model provides an innovative approach to land development by directing its residual profits back to the University to fuel its academic mission. The team and 14-member board of directors are dedicated to creating, developing and managing premier mixed-use developments for the University of Calgary. True to fundamental values of transparency, collaboration and mindful progress, UCPG is creating amazing places for people to thrive.
The primary responsibilities of this role are the day to day operations of the building maintenance and mechanical systems, as well as maintaining positive relationships with tenants, contractors and sub-contractors.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Deliver exceptional customer service to internal and external customers.
- Respond quickly and effectively to all tenant and management requests.
- Conduct daily interior and exterior inspections for damage and perform or arrange repairs on multiple buildings.
- Monitor computerized control systems.
- Oversee the preventive maintenance contracts and unscheduled repairs of HVAC, mechanical, plumbing, lighting, electrical, elevating devices, waste management, interior/exterior landscaping, and life safety systems.
- Manage and oversee third party contractors to ensure work is performed correctly and as per contract or work order.
- Coordinate major repairs and capital projects.
- Maintain an inventory of supplies and equipment and make recommendations.
- Clean-up litter, refuse, from sidewalks, green areas, flower beds and all parking areas, a minimum of once a day.
- Replace RTU filters on a regularly scheduled basis as required.
- Perform light plumbing work such as cleaning stoppages, replacing fittings, etc.
- Repair damage (when possible) caused by vandalism or accident to fencing, signage, lighting, drywall, glass, displays, mouldings, flooring, graffiti, etc.
- Replace lights as required.
- Meet the needs of the company and customers by modifying duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Prepare vacant tenant spaces for prospective tenants.
- Requisition materials and supplies required for daily, weekly and monthly maintenance.
- Prepare/maintain records of operations associated with required duties.
- Have regular meetings with the Senior Property Manager.
- Assist the Senior Property Manager in specifying contracts and the tendering of same.
- Be available for on-call after-hour emergencies.
You will have a minimum of 3 years relevant experience in a building repairs/operations in a commercial/retail environment. The ideal applicant will have the following, but not limited to:
- Experience with computerized building management and control systems.
- Ability to read and interpret mechanical/electrical drawings.
- Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act, Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) and First Aid training.
- General technical skills (small repairs of plumbing, ventilation and mechanical systems, refurbishing, handyman services).
- Valid class 5 driver’s license.
- A dedication to providing exceptional service every day.
- The ability to adapt to change in a positive way and deliver successful results within a time frame.
- A team-oriented approach to meeting goals and objectives.
- The ability to perform with exceptional integrity, always striving to do the right thing and help to create an environment built on trust, honesty and respect.
- Proven organizational and multi-tasking skills; able to cope with changing client needs and deliver successful results within agreed upon time frames; perform well under pressure.
- Detail oriented; able to resolve problems using facts and sound reasoning.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
The deadline to apply is August 15, 2020. Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Application: Building Operator (Your Name)” in the subject line.
Note: only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. We are committed to workplace diversity and inclusion, and thank all applicants in advance.