Building Operations Summer Student
Position Description: Building Operations Summer Student
Status: Summer Full Time – May 2022 – September 2022
Department: Property Management
Reports to: Senior Property Manager
Organization: University of Calgary Properties Group Ltd.
Are you a recent Power Engineering Graduate, an up and coming Building Operator, interested in Building Operations or interested in Maintenance? Are you recognized for your strong technical and organizational skills? Are you regularly getting noticed for your attention to detail and flexibility in adapting to changing work priorities? Are you able to successfully multi-task, have a strong work ethic and problem solve? If so, we want you on our growing team!
University of Calgary Properties Group Ltd. (UCPG), is looking for a Building Operations Summer Student who will be responsible for assisting with activities related to the operations of all aspects of retail and office properties within our organization. Reporting to the Senior Property Manager, the Operations Summer Student will play a key role in supporting the operations of the University District project – a 200 acre master planned urban community in NW Calgary.
University of Calgary Properties Group Ltd. (UCPG) was created by the University of Calgary to oversee the development and management of university land projects. UCPG’s financial model provides an innovative approach to land development by directing its residual profits back to the University to help fuel its mission. The team and 14-member board of directors are dedicated to creating, developing and managing premier mixed-use developments for the University of Calgary. True to fundamental values of mindfulness, integrity, collaboration, confidence, and accountability UCPG is creating amazing places for people and businesses to thrive.
The primary responsibilities of this role are to support the day to day operations of the building maintenance and mechanical systems, as well as maintaining positive relationships with tenants, contractors and sub-contractors.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Deliver exceptional customer service to internal and external customers.
- Respond quickly and effectively to all tenant and management requests.
- Conduct daily interior and exterior inspections for damage and perform or arrange repairs on multiple buildings.
- Monitor computerized control systems.
- Support the Building Operator to oversee the preventive maintenance contracts and unscheduled repairs of HVAC, mechanical, plumbing, lighting, electrical, elevating devices, waste management, interior/exterior landscaping, and life safety systems.
- Perform inspections of third party contractors to ensure work is performed correctly and as per contract or work order.
- Coordinate and complete minor repairs.
- Create inventories of supplies and equipment.
- Create Standard Operating Procedures for the duties you perform.
- Clean-up litter, refuse, from sidewalks, green areas, flower beds and all parking areas, a minimum of once a day.
- Replace RTU filters on a regularly scheduled basis as required.
- Perform light plumbing work such as cleaning stoppages, replacing fittings, etc.
- Graffiti removal
- Repair damage (when possible) caused by vandalism or accident to fencing, signage, lighting, drywall, glass, displays, mouldings, flooring, graffiti, etc.
- Replace lights as required.
- Meet the needs of the company and customers by modifying duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Assist with the preparation of vacant tenant spaces for prospective tenants.
- Requisition materials and supplies required for daily, weekly and monthly maintenance.
- Prepare/maintain records of operations associated with required duties.
- Vacation coverage for the Building Operator.
- Be available for on-call after-hour emergencies.
You will have experience in building repairs/operations in a commercial/retail environment. The ideal applicant will have the following, but not limited to:
- Experience with computerized building management and control systems.
- Ability to read and interpret mechanical/electrical drawings.
- Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act, Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) and First Aid training.
- General technical skills (small repairs of plumbing, ventilation and mechanical systems, refurbishing, handyman services).
- Valid class 5 driver’s license.
- A dedication to providing exceptional service every day.
- The ability to adapt to change in a positive way and deliver successful results within a time frame.
- A team-oriented approach to meeting goals and objectives.
- The ability to perform with exceptional integrity, always striving to do the right thing and help to create an environment built on trust, honesty and respect.
- Proven organizational and multi-tasking skills; able to cope with changing client needs and deliver successful results within agreed upon time frames; perform well under pressure.
- Detail oriented; able to resolve problems using facts and sound reasoning.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Valid 5th or 4th class ticket would be an asset however not required.
The deadline to apply is May 23, 2020. Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Application: Building Operator (Your Name)” in the subject line.
Note: only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. We are committed to workplace diversity and inclusion and thank all applicants in advance