Position Description: Accountant
Status: Full Time
Department: Administration and Accounting
Reports to: Director of Finance
Organization: University of Calgary Properties Group Ltd.
University of Calgary Properties Group Ltd.
Are you an experienced Accountant with an eye for detail and exceptional organizational skills? Do you have a passion for real estate and land development that makes you eager to help with an ever-growing accounting environment? Does the development of a successful accounting atmosphere excite you and bring a passion to your job desires? If this sounds like the job you have been waiting for, we want you to be part of our team.
University of Calgary Properties Group Ltd. (UCPG), formerly West Campus Development Corporation, is looking for a full-time Accountant who will be responsible for helping to manage and develop the accounting environment of our organization. Reporting to the Director of Finance you will be key in the development of the operational process as it relates to our management company and land development projects, which include University District project – a 200-acre master planned urban community in NW Calgary. The successful applicant will be responsible to uphold the quality standards for management of UCPG properties and be excited about an opportunity to grow along with the portfolio.
Who We Are?
University of Calgary Properties Group Ltd. (UCPG) was created by the University of Calgary to oversee the development and management of university land projects. UCPG’s financial model provides an innovative approach to land development by directing its residual profits back to the University to help fuel its mission. The team and 14-member board of directors are dedicated to creating, developing and managing premier mixed-use developments for the University of Calgary. True to fundamental values of transparency, collaboration and mindful progress, UCPG is creating amazing places for people and businesses to thrive.
The primary responsibilities of this role are the day to day operations as well as quarterly reporting requirements of the development group.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Document financial transactions by recording and processing accounts payable and receivable transactions.
- Prepare payments by verifying documentation and requesting disbursements.
- Prepare asset, liability, and capital account journal entries by compiling and analyzing account information.
- Reconcile financial discrepancies by collecting and analyzing account information.
- Prepare specific financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information for retail tenants.
- Provide financial information to management by researching and analyzing accounting data; preparing reports.
- Recommend financial actions by analyzing accounting options.
- Substantiate financial transactions by auditing documents.
- Maintain financial security by following internal controls.
- Maintain customer confidence and protect operations by keeping financial information confidential.
- Comply with federal, provincial, and local financial legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation.
- Build and maintain a good working relationship with all members of the UCPG team and partners.
- Potential opportunity for researching and interpreting accounting policy and regulations.
Requesting a minimum of 3 years relevant experience in accounting within the commercial/retail property management environment. The ideal applicant will have the following, but not limited to:
- Detail oriented, allowing you to operate in a high paced environment with exceptional time management skills.
- Proficiency in excel and data entry management.
- Goal-oriented, helping with the growth of a multi-level accounting environment.
- Follow accounting controls that includes the ability to prepare and recommend policies and procedures.
- A dedication to providing exceptional service every day.
- The ability to adapt to change in a positive way and deliver successful results within a time frame.
- A team-oriented approach to meeting goals and objectives.
- The ability to perform with exceptional integrity, always striving to do the right thing and help to create an environment built on trust, honesty and respect.
- Proven organizational and multi-tasking skills; able to cope with changing client needs and deliver successful results within agreed upon time frames; perform well under pressure.
- A proven problem solver able to resolve matters at hand using facts and sound reasoning.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- CPA designation would be beneficial but not mandatory.
- Strong computer skills with broad range of experience with industry specific software.
The deadline to apply is August 15, 2020. Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please put “Application: Accountant (Your Name)” in the subject line.
Note: only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. We are committed to workplace diversity and inclusion and thank all applicants in advance.